Types of acne scars
The type of scars your skin develops can vary, based on the form of acne you experience. The five types of acne scars are:
- Hyperpigmentation: The skin tone has changed in the area affected, looking reddened or darker.
- Keloids: Discolored, bumpy skin can appear when the body produces more cells than it needs to heal a blemish.
- Icepick scars: These scars are almost impossible to hide, as they look like tiny punctures in your skin. These appear most often in people who have experienced cystic acne.
- Rolling scars: The skin has taken on a wavy, uneven texture. These scars are most common in people who have struggled with long-term acne breakouts.
- Boxcar scars: These scars are shallow with defined edges, pulling the damaged area downwards, creating a visible depression.